Saturday, July 23, 2022

Sage Words

 This morning's harvest, going into the dehydrator.  It is not impressive, but there will be more!  


 I tried my hand at winter sowing in a couple of milk jugs and a greens container with a lid.  The plants started later than expected, but they did take off--I had some summer squash ready by the time I had the garden ready to plant, a couple sage plants, some spearmint, a couple strawberries, and some seeds good for containers--a few cherry tomato plants and a "pot-o-peno" jalapeño. I was disappointed by the number of plants that came up; however, I figure a couple of solid strawberry plants will spread (once I figure out where to put them). And, a couple sage plants will produce enough sage for us to use this year.  A packet of seeds is cheaper than a bottle of sage at the grocery, eh?


I may have to go back and read this blog, lol.  So much of what I was doing, I have forgotten, it seems. 


At one time, I may have envisioned trying to live a sustainable life, but my life, our life, here, has been fairly far from that.  My goal, now, is to simplify, utilize, maximize our resources. I don't expect to achieve a fully self-sustainable life, lol, but I hope to do a better job.  I don't need to mention that the world is a little scary, and my tendency, always, has been to hunker down and focus on what I can control, or at least try to do so.  I have wanted to put a garden in here since we moved, and I am really glad to be getting started growing (hopefully) at least some part of the food we eat. 


These aren't really "sage words," I know, but, anyway. 


No comments:

Post a Comment